Tuesday, October 22, 2013

First Timer: Spaghetti Squash

Alright Ladies and Gents,
I finally bit the bullet and did it. I made spaghetti squash.

A little background, I love noodles. In order to help with my weight loss, I have basically cut them out of my diet, because I have no self control with them. I have been seeing these spaghetti squash recipes on pinterest and everyone RAVING about how it is a wonderful pasta substitute..blah blah blah I wasn't buying it.

I did a little research (aka googled how to cook spaghetti squash) and found a couple of techniques that were similar. I went here and here and basically followed instructions. We opted for some turkey meatballs and our favorite jar of pasta sauce, easy enough.

Alright, here we go.

 
I got the squash and cut off both ends in preperation to cut it. I had Dan cut it in half for me, my fingers are too pretty to cut off. Then I took a spoon and scooped out the seeds. 

 
 Just like the recipe said I brushed it with olive oil and added a semi-generous amount of salt and pepper.
 
Put it in the oven at 400 degrees for around 45 minutes. I did re-brush it with olive oil with about ten minutes left because it was looking a little dry.


Hot and fresh out of the oven.
 

 I was honestly suprised how easily it came out and how much it looked like spaghetti. I did not wait till it was cool enough to touch, because I am a rebel, and it worked wonderfully. We added a splash of olive oil and some salt and pepper before adding our sauce and meatballs.



Gordon Ramsay would kill me on presentation, but overall we made a pretty good dish.





Lindsey's Review:
I can't believe I am saying this, but it was awesome. I am already planning other dishes using spaghetti squash. The best thing is that since it is 40 calories per cup (compared to the 200 pasta usually has) you can add those not so awesome toppings (I am looking at you alfredo) and feel less guilty.

Dan's Review:
It wasn't horrible. It didn't taste like spaghetti, more like rice noodles, but it wasn't bad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment